Welcome and Congratulations on your purchase of the Mk2 Machina 3D Printer
This guide will guide you through the setup and software install so you can get started with 3D Printing.
1. What is in the box?
- Machine – X20, X16, or X24; for the X75 and custom machines, your contents may vary slightly – especially for machines with the touchscreen interface.
- Spool of Filament
- Power Cable, USB Cable, Glass, Spool holder, SD Card adapter, Mini SD Card (typically inserted into the adapter), LCD Box, LCD Stand, glass clips
2. Place hardware on machine:
- Connect power cable in the back of machine
- Place glass on print bed, secure it with glass clips on either side (left/right, towards the front)
- Connect LCD Screen – there are two ribbon cables that fit in the back of the LCD Screen. Connect them and turn power on to see if they are connected properly. If they are connected properly, the LCD screen will light up and show a boot screen. After approx 3-5 seconds, the regular LCD screen will show machine status. If you do not see a machine status being displayed, power machine off and swap cables in the back of LCD screen.
- Place LCD on LCD stand, on the right hand side, bottom
- Open up the filament spool. Load it on the machine – on the right hand side, there’s a door that swings open to allow for you to load spool. The Spool holder (with the yellow knob) will fit on the side of the machine, through the middle of the spool and will secure to the machine frame.
3. Load Filament – warm up machine to operating temperature – see LCD menu for details: LCD Menu Tree Guide. Once machine reaches target nozzle temperature, load the material into the teflon tubing, through the yellow extruder. Make sure the quick release latch is open, and slide filament all the way into the nozzle. First try may be a bit tricky, especially since filament has a natural tendency to curve. Once material is loaded, close the yellow latch and you are ready to print.
4. Start a print from LCD Menu – if desired, or go to the software and driver install.
Refer to the Mk2 Quick Start Guide on how to get a print started off the SD Card/LCD Menu.
5. Install Drivers and Software
You will need to install the following: drivers (only for Windows machines), slicer engine and printer host/control software.
5.1 Install drivers.
Download and install the PC/Windows Driver – this is an unsigned driver until Windows 10 – Windows 10 seems to be installing the driver automatically. Connect USB cable to printer and then connect to your PC. Windows will attempt to install USB device driver, when it fails, just to inside the Control Panel, Devices and Printers, right click on your RUMBA Device and update driver. It will complain that it is not a signed driver, click OK. On Windows 8, you will need to restart the computer in a special mode that disables unsigned driver enforcement.
5.2 Install Slicer and Repetier
Host/Control software for the Printer – Repetier Host. Go through the install wizard – do not install the Server option.
For Repetier, remember the COM port your printer is installed on – go to “Printer Config”, set the COM port to the port your printer is connected to, set the BAUD rate to 112500 and you are ready to go.
Please refer to the Repetier Manual for details on how to operate it.
Slicer engine – Slic3r software. The “Slic3r” software is a slicing engine; it has no installer – you just unzip it, load our profiles and are ready to go.
1. Download our slicing profiles: Machina Mk2 Slicing profiles
Unzip it, and remember where this file is.
2. Launch “Slic3r” and not the console option. Cancel out of the wizard. Go to “File – Preferences” and select “Expert Mode”. You will need to restart Slic3r.
When restarted, go to “File – Load config Bundle” – select the Machina profile file you unzipped above and click “open”.
Please refer to the Slic3r Manual for settings and how to operate it.
6. Test Files
If you want a test print outside of the calibration file, please try this GCODE – it’s a vase. This is for the 0.4mm nozzle and it will use approx 7.6 meters of filament.
Download it, unzip it, put it on the SD card and select it from the LCD menu.